Most popular power providers revealed
A review of over 378,000 residential customers that switched power provider last year has revealed some interesting trends in the provider of choice for the Kiwi public.
Looking at data from the Electricity Authority we can see the net number of customers who chose to switch to (or from) NZ power companies between 1 December 2019 and 30 November 2020*.
The three most popular power providers customers chose to switch to in 2020 were:
1. Electric Kiwi – who had an increase of 21,859 customers
2. Powershop – who had an increase of 12,046 customers
2. Nova Energy – who had an increase of 10,105 customers
Customers were switching away from the larger Power Providers in 2020
The three companies with the largest number of customers switching away from them were:
1. Genesis Energy – had a decrease of 20,499 customers
2. Mercury NZ – had a decrease of 18,919 customers
3. Contact Energy – had a decrease of 13,605 customers
Of course, as the three largest market shareholders in NZ these losses make up a small portion of customers - Genesis Energy, Mercury NZ and Contact Energy are still incredibly popular with customers. Genesis Energy has just under 500k customers, Contact Energy around 400K and Mercury NZ around 340k. So, if you’re with one of the big providers, you’re not alone!
Power customers are choosing small providers for a good reason
As smaller, relatively new players in the market Electric Kiwi, Powershop and Nova Energy are growing rapidly, and have all enjoyed positive growth in recent years. At Power Compare we see customers choosing them for good reason – innovative deals and opportunities for customers. Here are three great reasons we believe customers are switching to these fast-growing providers:
Free power & guaranteed savings in your first year with Electric Kiwi
If big savings, low power prices and awesome service sounds like you, join Electric Kiwi today. Smaller. Smarter.
- FREE hour of power - You choose 60 minutes of off-peak power that suits your lifestyle. All power used during that hour is free each day!
- Everyday Low prices - Upfront low power prices, 365 days a year.
- Guaranteed savings - Electric Kiwi is so sure you’ll save in your first year, it guarantees it.
Kickstart your account with $150 credit, regular discounts and no fixed contract with Powershop
Kickstart your account with $150 credit spread over your first twelve months with this great Powershop special offer through Power Compare.
- Get $150 free power spread over your first 12 months
- Save with regular discounts on your power
- The freedom of no fixed-term contracts
Save when you bundle your power and broadband with Nova Energy
Combine your utilities with Nova Energy and have one convenient bill for your broadband, home phone, electricity and natural gas. No fixed terms and no break fees - sweet!
- Get Unlimited Broadband for $69/month when you bundle Nova's Broadband with Power and Gas on an open-term Everyday Bundle plan!*
- Or, bundle Broadband and Power and pay just $79/month for the Unlimited Broadband.
*View data source here. Date range: 01 Dec 2019 - 30 Nov 2020; Region type: New Zealand; Region: New Zealand; Retail entity: Trader; Market segment: Residential, Switch type: All switches (combined)